To mark its 25th anniversary on Monday (22 September), the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) has announced that the London 2012 Paralympic Games have been chosen as the number one moment to have taken place in the Paralympic Movement over the last quarter of a century.
In the lead-up to the silver jubilee, a global search was launched asking the public to share their favourite para-moments since the IPC was formed on 22 September 1989 in Dusseldorf, Germany.
From the hundreds of entries received, the IPC Governing Board then voted for their Top 25 moments and a daily countdown started on 29 August via a special website www.ipc25.com.
The overwhelming winner was the London 2012 Paralympic Games which broke multiple records and created seismic shifts in attitudes and perceptions towards people with an impairment.
The Games attracted a record-breaking 4,236 athletes from 164 countries. They competed across 20 sports in packed venues after a record 2.7 million tickets were sold.
More broadcasters than ever before covered the London 2012 Paralympic Games. TV pictures were beamed to over 100 countries, reaching a cumulative audience of 3.8 billion people.
Post Games research found that fantastic athletic performances, combined with capacity crowds and unprecedented media coverage, led to a huge shift in British society.
One in three UK adults changed their attitude towards people with an impairment, while two in three said the Paralympic Games changed the way people with an impairment are viewed in Great Britain.
Craig Spence, the IPC's Director of Media and Communications, said: "The London 2012 Paralympic Games were outstanding; so many aspects of them have set the benchmark for how future Paralympic Games should be organised.
"They made a huge impact across the world and this is reflected in four other moments from London 2012 making the Top 25.
"I would like to thank the public for sharing their favourite moments with us, the best of which we have uploaded to an interactive map at www.ipc25.com.
"I think the Top 25 moments show how much the IPC, the Paralympic Movement and the athletes have achieved over the last quarter of a century, which makes what lies ahead even more exciting."
The 25 moments as nominated by the public and voted for by the IPC Governing Board are as follows:
- London 2012: inspiring a generation, transforming a nation
- One bid, one city agreement
- Barcelona 1992 Paralympic Games
- Jonnie Peacock silences 80,000 people
- Sydney 2000 Paralympic Games
- Great Wall of China and Forbidden City made accessible
- First IPC-IOC Agreement
- Sochi 2014 breaks down barriers
- The IPC is created in Dusseldorf
- Hou Bin Beijing 2008 Opening Ceremony
- ParalympicSport.TV launched
- IPC/IOC Agreement signed at London 2012
- New vision launched
- IPC HQ opens in Bonn, Germany
- Iranian archer wins London 2012 gold
- USA v Russia live on NBC
- Agitos Foundation launched
- Agitos unveiled
- Alex Zanardi creates the image of the Games
- Rwanda sitting volleyball team make it to London 2012
- Zorn wins 55th and final Paralympic medal
- Classification Code published
- First International Paralympic Day
- Craven elected IPC President
- 2007 Parapan American Games
Full descriptions of each of the 25 moments can be found at www.ipc25.com